Jack - Carlisle, Massachusetts

Life Experience

I ride along in great black 1990 suburban going down the road sitting with my grandfather. I ask what was it like back when you were a kid, did you going fishing with your dad before he died? Did you ever ride down the road in a big black car with the great feeling of being a kid? He told me the whole story from start to finish and how he felt. We sit there I am 10 years old and I listen to him and hear each encroaching word. I here his story of his great days as a kid all the stupid things he did in the days of a grandfather. I wanted to hear more and more all the time I was always asking and still today I ask questions about being a kid in the forties. I wanted to hear more and more.

He started to tell me about his childhood in the forties. He told this story about how the would go fishing in the great river in Arlington. He said “I would go to the river with my three other brothers me being the youngest and we would fish for carp with our wonder bread and old fishing rods that were just barley stay alive.” I would look at the great river with high banks that I would climb down and then cast out. I would wait patiently for that one little nibble and then I YANKED and hook in the carp, right in the lip and then violently reeled it in with my brothers helping. There it was, a 30-inch carp in my hands “I couldn’t believe it” he said to me.

I really never did a lot of things with my father because he died when I was fourteen. I did go fishing and I used to go to this great pond called spy pond and there would be lots of bass. But I mostly was with my brothers and we would go hunting and fishing and we would do stupid things together. My brothers once painted my whole body head to foot well I was sleeping. We did all kinds of stupid things to each other as kids. One time we berried my car in the ground because it took money to have the tow truck come and bring it to the junkyard. I loved my dad but he died when I was young so I never really worked on cars and things like that with him. I can tell you one thing though I did ride down the road in a 37 ford but I was seventeen though. My dad never had a car in his whole life. He picked up garbage in Arlington so he either walked or took the bus to work everyday. But yeah I do no the feeling of being a kid driving the car down the road and having that feeling of freedom. I love being kid because you never worried.