elisa - belleville, New Jersey

“This Too Shall Pass”

When I find myself in a difficult situation, the phrase, “This too shall pass” always seems to get me through. When it’s icy, cold, and snowy in the winter you have to remember that spring is just around the corner just as you have to keep in mind that problems will eventually pass too. Through the many phases of my life I’ve reassured myself of this over again and I know I’ll be sure to do so in the future as well. It’s a phrase that my mother taught me and although she has taught me a lot, I can say that this might be one of the most helpful things she has ever said to me.

One event that has affected me greatly would be when my sister became ill. I was young, only about 10 years old, and I was faced with a life shattering issue. My sister, sick but not physically like you may conclude, was hospitalized due to bipolar disorder.

Most know how close siblings are and considering we are only three years apart we were inseparable. My life came to an uttering halt when she had been sent away. I was young and really did not understand her disorder or why she did the things she did. My mom was always very sad because my sister would use self-mutilation as a coping strategy. Finally, after several hospitalizations, my sister’s life was turned around. Now she is in college, accepted to the honors program, and is doing well for herself. Having faith that this unfortunate event would pass, she was able to pull through this bad chapter of her life.

The most horrific event in my life, still to this day, was the death of my father. I was always “daddy’s little girl” so this was especially hard. I did not take to his passing well nor did any of my family. Through the lowest of the low we were able to continue on with our lives despite the pain and suffering we felt. Still to this day I grieve but by staying positive and remembering that all things eventually become better, I, and my family, were able to overcome this tribulation and accept that he was gone. The event will never totally pass, but all the pain has lessens immensely as time goes on.

The must recent downfall that I’ve had to conquer, and am still conquering, is the end of my first relationship. When I was a sophomore I began to take special interest in a boy who was a year older then me. Turns out this boy would soon be my first love. We

spent over a year together and I for one enjoyed the good times we had. Now the relation has come to the end of the road and it has been hard for me to let go. By reassuring myself that this will pass, I can more easily face the heartache and try to get over him. Although it will be a rough experience, I’ve been through tougher things and know that eventually this will be a mere memory.

In life, every single being will go through hard times. Whether it is grass surviving a drought, or a person dealing with a loss of a loved one, in any situation a good attitude must be preserved in order to help prevail. Giving in or giving up can only make a matter worse off. By using this phrase when times get rough, I can always get through and come out a better person after all. Next time you are having a tough time, just remember, “This too shall pass”.