Terron - Farmington, Utah

Hello! Where am I? Change course?

Sitting in my tub reflecting on my journey so far in life and the roads that have brought me to where I am leads me to question self, journey, position, influence, circumstances, change, and level of contentment.

I believe there are many roads (decisions and personal choices) which each of us may travel in life which will lead to different sets of life circumstances contrary to where we are today. One may ask, “Am I where I want to be? Is this the correct path to my heart’s desire for my life’s goals, dreams, ambitions, and hopes?

As one continues along life’s journey, the phrase from the movie Forrest Gump comes to mind, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get until you take a bite.” This phrase conjures up different memories of events in my life. Some make me laugh out loud, others cause me to shrink, desire to redo, or make me cry with joy or regret.

Let’s step back to our grade school years when we were all asked “What do you want to be when you grow up?” We all had our personal fantasies of how we viewed ourselves or what we wished we could be. I am going to be a dancer, fireman, actress, actor, singer, pilot, doctor, nurse and so on goes the list, but what is it in life that eventually takes us down the path to the person in who we have become good, bad, or indifferent compared to those childhood, teenage, and adulthood dreams and goals to the present position or state in which we find ourselves? Was it from following the path of least resistance, we just happened to end up here? Did we have family and friends direct us or do we seem to have been forced here by various life circumstances or choices we made that seem to leave us no other choice? Self reflection occurs sometimes when we least expect it and can stir up strong feeling and emotions.

I believe if after these moments of self refection, we find our circumstance not to our satisfaction due to life’s circumstances, past personal decisions and choices so that we have ended up to where we either wanted to be, can tolerate, or where our lives are not fulfilling and deem pointless, there is a way out through self determination and deep sacrifice.

Change is a part of life’s course in which we all can and should be partakers. Change can be part of the greatest challenges and greatest joys. A deep look into who we are as we journey through life’s currents from the past, to the present, and into the future directions we may travel. We may think, what are the risks? How will it affect who I believe I am and how others see me? What family relations will grow and bloom, what ones will be stressed and wilt by my personal desires to change my position and state in life?

If we are not where we want to be, looking back on the path which has brought us to the chiasm of where we sit, one can look back at those little bites of chocolate to see the steps or choices which have led to the door of where we currently reside. If we are content, find joy and meaning for where we are and are envisioning the steps to continue our journey, what comfort we can take. If we are in turmoil, unrest and feel we are at a cross road of change, just remember the word of a poet Ella Wilcox who wrote, “There is no chance, no fate, no destiny that can circumvent or hider or control the firm resolves of a determined soul.”

A personal self evaluation can manifest itself at different times, driving down the road, reading a book at a park, or in the tub like mine. No matter where or when it happens, one can take the opportunity to choose to act and redirect the path to be at the door we wish to be. So let us walk together reaching out to those in our circle of influence to assist each other on with our dreams and journey of life.