Kenneth - Wilmington, Delaware
Themes: courage

A famous lion once said “What puts the Ape in Apricot?” Courage. I believe in courage. The definition of courage defined from Webster’s dictionary is “The state of mind that helps a person to conquer different obstacles.” This state of mind is different in every person. In this essay I, Kenneth Conlin, want to tell you why I believe in courage and some experiences that I had that use courage.

When I think of courage I also think about the lion in the Wizard of Oz. In the movie his courage was low. He gets frightened easily and from everybody. I really haven’t been in any life threatening situations, like the cowardly lion was. I haven’t saved any lives or been a hero to anyone. However, I think courage comes in many ways.

One of the ways I have seen courage in my life would be when I stand up against peer pressure. Sometimes when I am around my friends or people my age they start saying things or doing things I don’t want to be a part of. It was hard for me to stand up and walk away from the crowd. When I think about it now I can see that it was the right choice. I think if more people showed courage and stood up for the right thing the world would be safer. Standing up for what’s right takes a lot of courage. It takes even more when they’re your friends.

A wise Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all. And so today I still have a dream.” He was a brave man for his time. He was an African American that just wanted equality between people. He was a very courageous man to do all the things that he did. I believe that there are still many issues people need to be courageous enough to fight for. I, just like Martin Luther King Jr., am participating in a march in Washington D.C. for an issue I feel is important. I will be marching in the Pro-Life march and I believe this requires courage on my part to participate in this march.

I believe we all have the potential to show courage. It is like oil that hasn’t been discovered underground. I say this because we all have the potential to show our courage. Courage is a special thing and we use it everyday. We use it to stand up for what’s right, to go try a new trick on a skateboard, or even for the weak-hearted to go and face your fears. When ever I am confronted with a great but difficult opportunity and think about quitting or not even trying it. I try to think of the cowardly lion and the things he confronted and the courage he used.

Word count: 496