Carl - boxborough, Massachusetts

Helping Make a Miracle

There is boy around two or three years old struggling to even stand up on the ice. He looks like he’s about to cry and give up. All of the sudden his father comes over and lifts him up, giving him a boost and helps him glide around the rink. I see images like this one all the time when I go to ice rinks and it gives me an excellent feeling inside. The best part is knowing that that father cares and wants to help his son succeed in something. Help is a broad theme in life. It is vital to the process of turning something into success. I believe, from my experiences, that everyone needs support throughout the long journey of life.

I am happy to how my life has turned out so far. There are so many pieces of memory that make me feel this way, but an essential part is all the support I have gotten. It started when I was baby, when my mother and father taught me how to walk. There are so many other examples of help, which can come from just about anyone. The examples can even stretch as far as a kid being mean to me and showing me how not to act. The biggest example was when I started going to my new school, Fenn.

When I arrived to Fenn in sixth grade, I was apprehensive, but mostly excited. I looked at the pile of positives for going there. I had at least five friends who were there already, and the big fact that I wanted to go there to become a better person. What I didn’t expect was that the whole beginning would be a disaster. I got a D on my first test and wasn’t doing well in other classes. It wasn’t a great first impression and I felt like the kid struggling to stand on skates. Without the support of my mom, helping me with homework; my old and new friends, telling me I can get on the right track; and my teachers helping me, I may never have gotten through the winter term. Not only did I get through the winter term, but I received high honors and was rewarded greatly for all of my hard work.

I can’t believe how far I have come throughout all these years. When I look back, I give myself a pat on the back for working so hard, but I give a big hand to all those who supported me when I needed help. At Fenn, there is so much to gain, from academics to athletics. I am just glad I am in an environment where you can become a successful human and you can seek help from just about anyone.