Geoffrey - Chicago, Illinois

Doing your own work is important for many reasons. It may be possible to cheat in 7th grade to get into a good high school, cheat in high school to get into an Ivy League College and even cheat in college to receive you degree. But once you graduate, there will be no one to spoon feed you. You will be on your own. You will not be able to have the answers written on your hand, have you book in your desk or have someone text message you the answers. There is no one to cheat off of to tell you how to live your life or how to do the daily necessities like paying your bills. Your shortcuts will come back to haunt you. The question is not if, but when.

Like Ralph Waldo Emerson said in his essay Self Reliance “Adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half possession”. You may be able to cheat now and gain some knowledge but you are only taking in 50 percent of the knowledge, if you are lucky. At a young age it is possible to look past the importance of doing your own work. Doing your own work is essential in the pursuit of happiness unless your goal in life is to stand on the side of the road begging for money because copying others will get you no where.

I believe to cheat your way through life you must live without a conscience. How is it possible to go to bed at night knowing you are scamming your way through life? I would not be able to live with myself. I unfortunately cheated once in 5th grade and the person I cheated off of took all of the blame. The guilt from that day caused from cheating and letting the other person take the blame has convinced me to never cheat again. To this day I am earning good grades without cheating. I will not cheat no matter what situation I am put in or how important a test is. I would rather receive a bad grade before I would cheat to get a better grade.

If you go through school, not cheating it is more difficult. It takes more effort and more dedication. This way you learn and you can get into a good high school and earn your grades to get into college. This is what I have done and I am on the B honor roll at the number one high school in the city of Chicago.

I believe your work should be exactly that, YOURS. Yes, it may be easy to fly through school cheating but it will get you nowhere in life. Even when people cheat it does not guarantee them good grades. A few years ago someone turned in their test before me and when I turned my test in, I noticed that the test at the top of the pile also had my name on it. That carelessness is what cheating creates. Doing your own work will later lead to your own success.