Jerry - Livingston, Texas

Like many WWII “war brides,” my mother was left on her own to raise her son. As a result, I was blessed with the opportunity to spend a good amount of my early years with my grandmother. Loving, gentle and kind… my grandmother was the epitome of what a grandparent should be. Her religious faith ran deep, and that priority lives on through me. She taught me to be tolerant of others, and to look into life’s important questions. Her sweet gentleness and inherent wise ways did not seem to be in step with her conservative, “Old Testament” beliefs. That conundrum has taken me along a lifelong quest for the truth about the deity we call God, and how He (or She) has attempted to communicate with us.

I believe that there is a supreme being. A creator and architect of all things and originator of all life, including the flawed creatures we call human beings. I believe that this supreme deity has personally contacted many humans over the history of humankind. I believe that when this supreme being has made those periodic attempts to communicate with us He was trying to give humankind direction and purpose. Alas, the messages either were not heard at all or were tragically misunderstood in many instances.

I believe that there have been many individuals who have, indeed, heard the voice of our Creator. We sometimes call these selected few “prophets.” These selected few, these prophets, have tried earnestly to determine the meaning of those messages received and I believe that many who have heard the voice of our Creator have even been reasonably accurate in interpretation. I also believe that there have been many more who tried unsuccessfully to understand the message and have therefore failed miserably. I believe that the complexity and overpowering, awesome and fearsome act of hearing messages from our Creator is just too much for a frail human to comprehend completely… and accurately. I believe that there have been many who have inadvertently allowed their personal human bias to pervert the message received.

I believe that there is a long history of these misunderstood or misconstrued messages received from our Creator. How else might we explain mankind’s long and painful history of wars and atrocities directly attributed to messages from the Almighty? I believe that our Creator would prefer that we all treat each other kindly, but that He does not often interfere in human activities, giving us the gift of freedom… and free will… even when we repeatedly continue to make poor choices.

I believe that there will come a day when we will begin to understand the messages from God, our Creator. Until that day, we will continue to kill one another because we are convinced that our particular version of what The Deity has told mankind is the only valid version. Highest in my prayer priority is that the day will soon come when we begin to realize that we are all sinners and we are all saints and that each of our “versions” of what The Creator has offered to our prophets over the millennia is probably a little bit right… and at least partly wrong. And… … most importantly… I believe that the last thing our Heavenly Father desires is that we should kill each other over our differences.