Vanessa - Chicago, Illinois

This I Believe…is Fear of My Birthday??

There must be a ton of people out there joking about their age and telling their family members that their next birthday they are going to be 15, 21, and the highest, 30. Yet, their birthday comes and instead of rewinding back to the years they wish they could, they grow that many wrinkles on their face. I’m a teenager right now, and for me the upcoming years are not only filled with more privileges, but more experiences. Therefore, i don’t fear the age to come but everything that comes along with the age. On the contrary, adults usually from the age of 35 and above tend to not look ahead to their birthdays and hide their age. I call it the fear of one’s birthday, the fear to grow one more year, the fear to experience one more year, and probably the fear to live one more year.

My aunt and dad always joke about their ages. My dad, when questioned about how old he is going to be on his birthday, he always responds, “25 and young”. My aunt, when asked the same question, jokes saying she’s 15. After a good laugh due to the humor bought out by both my relatives, my mom always comes in saying, ” Why fear the next age? It’s like your regretting to live your birthday once again”. Contrary of my dad and aunt’s idea of life, i agree with my mom. Lying about what age i am and try to relive the years that i have already experienced is saying different things about my character.

I have had experiences in my life that could have gotten me to regret another year of my life. In the 6th grade, i made a mistake of trying to imitate something i wasn’t. My whole personality and attitude towards my friends and family had changed. Once i experienced this mistake, i looked forward for my next birthday.

That is why when my “quince” (a Hispanic tradition) came; my parents threw me a party like no other birthday i had ever experienced. There was food, music and most important the people that saw me grow up were there. I had the decision of having a party or not, and i decided to have one. My decision was based off of two reasons. One was, having parties with a DJ are so cool. Secondly, even after so many mistakes i had done with my life, i had another chance to make the next epic of my life worthwhile.

So every year my birthday comes and i get excited the days right before it. But when it comes i start to think, “Another year that i have experienced and learned from, a new year for me t grow even more.” Every year is my lesson planned for the next. Every birthday i celebrate is the welcome to new experiences; every birthday is welcomed with no fear.