I Believe Weeping May Endure for the Night But Joy Cometh In The Morning

Africana - Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning is a verse from the bible, which means you might have to cry for a while, but when you’re through crying there will be much joy. I was born a crack baby, which means my mother used and was addicted to crack the whole time that she was pregnant with me. I was born prematurely and kept in the hospital for 3 months where I was injected with methadone to stop the pain I was feeling being addicted to crack.

For some reason I was released from the hospital and sent home with the parents that would later on neglect and abuse me. I was bought home to a house filled with abuse, neglect, hunger, pain, anger, and hurt. I witnessed domestic abuse everyday of my life until I was 3 years old. My father was a drunk and he would go out and drink until he was filled with rage and then come and take it out on my mother, my siblings and me – using whatever he could get his hands on.. I actually have a nephew-brother, which means my father raped my sister. I don’t know if my mother knew what was going on, either she was too high to realize or she was trying to stay out of my father’s way. We would go hungry for long periods of time because neither my mother or my father had a job and they really couldn’t afford to feed us.

When I was 3 ½ years old a guardian angel saved us. our landlord called social services because he sensed something wasn’t right about the house. In the middle of the night the cops and social services raided our house and found a refrigerator with no food, no lights, no heat, filth, 4 mattresses, roaches, rats, 12 nasty children and a mother who was mentally insane. They took 9 of my siblings and put them in foster homes and I haven’t seen them since. They then took me and two of my sisters and put us on FOX 6 so that someone could adopt us.

The woman who adopted my youngest sister decided to take us in also.

Meanwhile they punished my mother and father for all the things they took us through. I don’t know who my real mother and father are but I do forgive them for what they did.

My foster mother is the only person I’ve known as “Mom” all my life. She is the most caring person that I know. At first I was filled with anger and did not want to let anyone in because I did not know how love felt and I didn’t think anyone could be so kind.

Despite my learning disability I made the honor roll many times and graduated from South Milwaukee High School. I have been in the Navy since last summer. I know and love 4 of my 13 siblings. I am actually one of the happiest people ever. I thank God each and everyday for getting me out of that house. I sometimes cry myself to sleep wondering why I was so blessed to come out of something so hurtful without one scar. and I am very joyous, so Weeping May Endure For The Night But Joy Cometh In The Morning and this I believe. the night of my own weeping may have lasted a long time, but morning did come and I believe it will endure.