Christopher - Irmo, South Carolina

The Perfect Human

Everyone has a bad habit, or two, or a few, or many. Some of them can be big hindrances to our everyday life, but most are just simple annoyances. For instance, a fingernail biter will have issues picking coins up off of a flat surface. Others can be more debilitating, such as the social stigma of noise picking. But all are flaws in our nature that most will agree should be fixed, and all of these are things that we can fix with just a bit of effort and time. They say that it takes about four weeks to break a habit, but it can be four weeks to do just about anything.

For instance, I’m an avid fingernail biter. It’s a habit I recognize and one I know I can change. So I have. Given enough will power, I quit for a month. But I went back to it not long after, deciding that proving I could quit was enough for me. It started becoming more of a problem recently, so I decided to quit again. And I’ve managed to keep that for half a month already. All that one needs is a reason and enough effort to change anything.

We can apply the four week rule to a student. Extend this talk of habits a little further, and it’s possible to do anything The average student can easily become an honors and AP student simply with enough effort in studying. Although it comes more easily to some students than others, and to different subjects for everyone, any student can accomplish even the most difficult tasks of school by putting enough study and thought into the process of learning. Four weeks later, a new habit is formed – a good student’s habit.

What about murderers? These people are unwanted by society, so we lock them away. In many places, we kill them. In many other places, they are reformed, and they walk back into society as a useful, helpful part of our world. Although a few people are beyond repair, many of those put to death can learn to normal, nice, and good by our society. All that’s needed is to break this ideal into many pieces that can be learned separately, and four years later a new person comes out of all the problems that were once present.

I believe in the perfectibility of humans. All humans have the inherent ability to learn, discover, and change. Any quality that is undesirable can be edited from their behavior simply by proper application, time, and willingness. If all people put their effort to the task, we could all change ourselves, and society as a whole, for the better. It would be a long and slow process, but over many generations, with one teaching the next everything learned, we might evolve as a race into what we might think of, looking forward from now, as perfect. A little bit from everyone can change everything a tremendous amount, and we could solve anything.