arjamand - irmo, South Carolina

Man to Wolf

Expansion of each species in this world has offered a wide variety of social and emotional perspectives. This broad spectrum ranges from a mother eating her newborn, to a complex social hierarchy that exists in the wolf pack. But where do humans stand in this world of social interactions? It has been said that humans are more closely related to wolves than monkeys when it comes to the structure of society. However, I feel there is still much more that can be acquired from wolves and their social system. For example the concept of taking care of each other, and the need for each others company making every member crucial.

This I believe: if humans could adopt this concept that every member is useful and should be loved, then we could make a lot of positive progression in this world. Wolves have a strong unity between each other which allows them to work in the utmost pleasant manner with fewer disagreements. They see each other as a reflection of themselves and their need to survive. Wolves have a mentality that when one wolf in their pack survives, than all the wolves in the pack should survive because each one looks after the other. This attitude can really teach humans a thing or two about unity and compassion.

The wars that have been fought and are still being fought are failed situations for both sides. Those soldiers who have fought were someone’s child, sibling parent, and spouse. If only we, human, can see each other through the eyes of the wolves, then we can truly be one “pack”; we can cherish the differences among individuals rather than appreciate only the similarities between them.

As you can see, this utopian idea might not be as successful in the human world because wolves don’t have the human qualities of manipulation, and injustice. But if every ethnicity in this world could try to see ethnicities as human beings and view them with affection and toleration, then we could greatly reduce the misunderstanding that occurs in everyday life. This could allow so much possibility of growth in relationships between groups of people.

So everyday I challenge myself to watch and learn every word that I use and action that I take towards another fellow human. I challenge myself to see my neighbors through tears of pain and laughter of joy. Maybe this is only a small step, but I have full faith in our species that we can progress and create better values for the future.