Tariq - San Marino, California

I believe in the power of tooth brush time. Not the routine scrubbing, spitting, and flossing. Though I do concede that the toothbrush and other popular dental tools are of paramount importance in regards to dental hygiene. Personal health is not the most valuable component of the simple 5 minute session. The most crucial part of one’s morning routine is instead the 5 minutes spent in front of the mirror. The deep soul searching that one’s own reflection invokes, which determines how one will act when faced with adversity.

During the football season our team worked vigorously before the start of league in hopes of making the playoffs. After a crushing defeat to a rival team our chances at making it to the post season had been wrecked. Utterly disheartened the team shuffled into the film room the following morning to study the tape. After watching the previous night’s game our coach told us of his brother. Coach’s brother was an above the leg amputee, and when faced with the choice between a life of physical sickness or a life in a wheel chair he was forced to tell the doctor to do away with his legs. Coach explained that when making the decision his brother said it was tooth brush time. It was time for him to look at himself and decide how to cope with the imminent hardships. Our coach told us of his own tooth brush time moments while serving in the military, and assured every one of us that there would come a time in our own lives when we would need to go brush our teeth. He asked us how we would respond to the current situation. Would we give up or come back on Monday for another practice. Inspired by his words we faced the unfortunate circumstances with maturity and had an outstanding week of practice. Despite not making the playoffs we were all able to finish the season without regrets, and with the knowledge that we had given our all for the sake of our teammates and coaches despite the unfortunate outcome. So when I wake up and head to the bathroom to start my morning, the tingling sensation in my mouth is just an added benefit to the perseverance gained from the time contemplating my own character while brushing, spitting, and flossing.