Madeline - Houston, Texas

Madeline S

I Believe in the Power of Pets

It was Christmas morning of the third grade when I found out I was getting a puppy. I was uncontrollably excited! Unfortunately I had to wait three weeks just counting the days. The gift of having my very own dog was a dream come true. A furry friend who would depend on me and love me for exactly who I am, not who I sometimes pretend to be. One who I knew would keep all my secrets and never doubt my dreams. A friend I could trust! I believe in the power of pets.

My Border Collie/ Labrador, Princess, has had a huge effect on my life. She has taught me and shown me important life lessons like responsibility, loyalty, empathy, patience, happiness and gratefulness. It’s kind of funny how quickly I understood about the responsibility of being in charge of “princess style” potty training, feeding and exercise. I had to prove to my parents that I was responsible enough to have a dog.

Princess has definitely shown me loyalty. I’ve had her for 6 years now and I can’t remember a time when I had a hard day or I was sad that she wasn’t right there beside me. Just the fact that she’s always there for me is so settling and promising.

Relating to empathy, Princess has shown me that she cares about me. When I got sick with a stomach virus, strangely the only place I could sleep was on the floor. It was the only place I could get comfortable. Princess usually sleeps on my parent’s bed, but that night she knew I wasn’t feeling well and she stayed right there beside me all night. It’s been proven that pets can help heal the sick. Organizations will bring dogs, miniature horses, cats, anything that’s allowed, into a children’s hospital or old folks home. Pets bring smiles to everyone’s faces. I believe in the power of pets.

Pets can comfort, but they can also challenge. My horse of 3 years, Savannah can definitely be a challenge. For example when we go up a few notches on the height of the jumps or we have a new course to master, it is not always easy. Working with her has shown me patience and perseverance.

Most of all, pets can teach us to be happy and grateful. My dog is the happiest living creature I’ve ever seen. Some days, I try to be like her. Always happy, just for the sunshine and blue sky. She’s always grateful, even when she’s fed the same old boring dog food every single night for dinner. That’s another life lesson we can all learn from out pets, always be grateful.

My pets have taught me so many important things and have shown me life lessons I will always remember. I couldn’t imagine life without them. That is why I believe in the power of pets.