Ashley - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: sports

Basketball

John Wooden once said, “Reputation is what others perceive you as being and their opinion may be right or wrong. Character however, is what you really are, and nobody truly knows that but you. But you are what matters most.” Basketball is a game that can teach you many things you need to know about life. It builds character, teaches hard work and determination, forms friendships, and teaches teamwork. I believe basketball can teach you about life.

From the game of basketball I have learned many things. Basketball has given me the opportunity to form close bonds with my teammates. My basketball team has great team chemistry and I believe that has to do with some of our success. “The main ingredient of stardom is the rest of the team,” said John Wooden. In order to become great, first your team has to become great.

When I was younger my dream was to play basketball and college. For the past four years I have been working towards my goal. Usually, at least once a day I go to the gym and play. As it turns out, all my hard work and determination has paid off, I recently received a call from a college in Colorado and they want me to play there.

On my team I am the captain and point guard, I have many roles that I have to fulfill in order for our team to be successful. My job is to control the floor and to be the leader on the court. Being the point guard has taught me how to become more disciplined and also how to be a better leader. As a captain, it is my job to lead the team in the right direction. Each person has their role on the team; it is their job to know their role in order for the team to be successful.

Basketball has taught me to not be afraid of failure. If I don’t risk making mistakes I will never become great at what I do. Every time I miss a shot I know that I have to keep shooting, because that’s what great shooters do. If I do fail, the next time I will definitely succeed.

“Success is a piece of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” said John Wooden. Everything I have learned from playing basketball has taught me to succeed. This is why I believe basketball can teach you about life.