Pearl - Bainbridge Island, Washington

The Snozberry Belief

“Snozberry? Who ever heard of a snozberry?”

“We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams”

~ Quoted Mr. Willie Wonka

From Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

1971 Version

I loved Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory when I was a little. Especially the room made of candy, and the chocolate river, I had dreams about that too. But that’s not where my belief takes its root. It all began with the lickable wallpaper for nursery walls. I remember it well: Veruca Salt claimed that there was no such thing as a snozberry, and Wonka replies “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams”, I interpreted this as the following: never claim that something can’t exist, because it can. Nothing is impossible, for if we can dream it, there is always a chance that a snozberry believer will come along and create it.

So I believe in snozberries, metaphorically speaking that is. You see, throughout history their have always been the great doubters. Scientists claimed that it was impossible to run a sub 4 minute mile; the earth was flat; the moon was made of cheese. Yet now, only a few hundred years later, our ideas of the world-of what man can and cannot do-have changed, reversed in many cases. Where it was once absurd to consider the possibility of the earth being round, it is now fact. Where you were arrested for suggesting man evolved from apes, it is now a commonly accepted theory. We have actually traveled to the moon, proving that it is not made of cheese. And, just to put this out their as a personal hooray, 45 years after the sub four minute mile was deemed physically impossible by many a renowned scholar, the current record was set at 3:43:13 by Hicham El Guerrouj.

My point is this: although what may be claimed impossible by many a man, can always be proven false. I believe in possibility. I have faith in mankind’s curiosity, for it has brought us to where we are today, and it continues to drive the snozberry believers of today to invent and discover.

Their will always be those who claim that the unseen is impossible, the unaccomplished can not be done, but I believe this is one of the most ignorant mistakes any person, or society, can make. No matter how far fetched an idea may be, there is always possibility. I believe that we should encourage these ideas, not shun them.

I believe in science, and I believe in the future. We have come from mud huts to Miami condos in only a few hundred years. I mean seriously, compared to the world, which has been around for billions of years, we take up but a teeny tiny fraction, seconds really. In this time we have managed to develop ways to blowup the world in a matter of seconds. We have cured fatal disease and cut through continents, all this is do to the snozberry believers.

There are many different types of people in the world, and I make it a general rule not to put people into categories, but for the sake of simplicity I will generalize: there are 2 types of people in this world. When I say snozberry, you are either thinking: doesn’t exist…or you are pondering over what they could taste like.

The people who have gone out and proven the world wrong, I congratulate you. I believe in you. I take my hats off to the snozberry believers.