Prasanth - USA
Themes: work

From the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep, I try to do my best. By working hard every day, I try to improve myself to get the best grades, “A+”s, in Northside College Prep. Hard work is helping me achieve my only goal for now, which is to get into a good college where I could major in Engineering and Computer Science. Also, a personal interest that I have for now is to play competitive sports. Hard work does pay off and there are benefits such as, I learn new information, whether I did well or not. Every day, I strive to become better than I was a moment before.

I came to the United States in fifth grade, after studying in India for seven years. I was surprised at how much knowledge I had by that time. My friends could not even do multiplications and divisions correctly. When the Math teacher asked one of my classmates what 3×2 is, that kid said “5.” I thought they were not very knowledgeable. But, they knew how to analyze stories and could write one page essays while these two subject areas were very new to me. The Reading and Writing classes in school have bothered me in fifth grade. I was never taught to think on my own nor write on my own. The schools in India are very different from the schools in the United States since in India, all we did was memorize a story along with the questions and the answers following that story. So, I never learned to analyze any piece of writing by myself. At first, I used others’ ideas but I learned that I could trust myself on having good ideas for homework and essays. By hard work, I understood the process of writing essays and other kids started using my ideas. A friend kept calling me everyday before school and asked me the answers to the homework assignments. Then, I realized how my hard work was helping me. By analyzing extra practice readings, I almost mastered them and brought up my scores to almost a high level in the IOWA tests by seventh grade.

I was part of three different sports in my high school career, Cross Country, Track & Field, and Swimming & Diving. In all these sports, I had fun and my pace went up consistently. Sometimes, the coaches got mad at me for stopping in the middle of the races before continuing on but I did not care nor compete with other athletes who were stronger and more physically fit than me. This year, I am on the swim team and during swim meets, I try my hardest and compete against myself. I dropped two seconds on the 50 yard swim in the second meet when compared to my first meet. I enjoy the fact that I have improved, rather than the fact that I have not won that race.

Hard work also required dedication. I was dedicated to all my work, including school work and homework and finished them completely before turning them in. School was the number one priority to me since preschool. After coming to this country, I never missed a single day of school and I will try to continue that record until my education will come to an end.

I try to work as hard as I can to achieve my goal. In my experience, I have learned that hard work does pay off. In school, I learned to comprehend passages more easily and in sports, I learned to compete against myself. Hard work does not necessarily provide one with positive outcome but it is the process of learning. I try to be the best that I can be and try to compete against myself to achieve my goal of becoming a major in Engineering and Computer Science and also to satisfy my hobby of playing competitive sports.