Christine - Chicago, Illinois

Just like John Lennon and the Beatles, I believe in yesterday. I know that sounds ridiculous, and living in the past will never do you any good. Yesterday is nothing more than a memory and something to look back on, however I believe that every yesterday of mine, has made me who I am today.

For me, yesterday is a summer day at the beach with my best friend. It is falling in love and getting my heart broken. Not just once, but twice. They say that it’s never easy to forget your first love, but so far I’ve found that the second isn’t any easier. For me, yesterday is a trip to the Philippines where I met my relatives for the first time in my life. Yesterday gave me bonds to family, which has become so important to me. Yesterday is winning the city championship for 6th grade volleyball, but coming in second best for the nest two years. Yesterday is what made me the hard worker that I am.

Past ordeals and experiences build your character. Every single one of those experiences that I have mentioned above has made a significant change in my life somehow. Some were for the better, some for the worse, and some seem like they were there only to make time tick by.

It has always been said that we can only learn from our mistakes. This is why I believe in yesterday. I know that on a particular yesterday, a couple years back, I fell in love with my best friend. Silly, right? Being in love when you’re fourteen, practically unheard of. And if you do happen to hear it, you laugh it off and say, “You’re too young to know what love really is.” But I’ve discovered what it is. Yesterday has taught me many lessons. Now I know how to catch a cheater!

I am a hard worker. I strive for the best. Not winning those city championships in 7th and 8th grade are two things that will probably haunt me for life. When I tried out for my high school team, I made varsity. Not only did I make it, but I was in the starting lineup. I made that team because I worked hard. After losing two city championships in a row, I would not settle for anything but the best. My first year in high school, we won that city championship, and became regional champions too. Yesterday made me a champion.

I believe that yesterday has made me who I am. I’ve done so much in my life so far, and I know that not everything has been right, but I don’t regret. All that I have been through has shaped me into who I am, and what I stand for. I’ve been told not to cry because it’s over, but to smile because it happened, which is what I will continue to do in my life. I will look back at yesterday, and smile.