Samuel - Edmond, Oklahoma
Themes: family, hope, illness

The time between adolescence and adulthood is a time when many changes regarding one’s values takes place. It is during this time of transition that I came to believe in something which I know helps me on a daily basis. This belief is in the hope of tomorrow and the promise of a better day. This idea becomes more and more important to me as my life unfolds and I realize just how much pain and hurt our world contains.

This outlook on life allows me to accept the problems I face each day and stay positive during them. However, while this claim may seem cliché or unoriginal, I feel like it applies to my life with a special significance. My optimistic outlook is not something I happened on by mistake or coincidence, but has been passed on by my mother, Donelle. As someone who struggles daily with multiple sclerosis, she possesses one of the most positive outlooks on life that I have ever seen. My mother has lost many things. First went her ability to run and play with my sister and I, next went her balance, her strength, and most recently, her ability to walk. Because of her declining condition my mother left her job at the local hospital and since then has become more and more limited as far as movement is concerned. But even though she has lost almost everything else, the one thing she has not lost is her optimism. She has never complained about her condition or blamed God for what is happening to her; and she has never once let her love as a mother for my sister and I falter.

Seeing my mother go through this terrible experience and still find ways to smile has shown me how important it is to take a positive viewpoint when confronted with a horrible situation.