David - Concord, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

David S

This I Believe Essay

2/02/08

Make It Worthwhile

The old trails were always deserted except for the hulky pines and thick green brush. Nature always seems to bring out deeper thoughts and feelings. Outside the forest and trees life seems to go by so very fast. Each day in school speeds by and it is only at lunch when I have time to sit down and I realize how fast the day has gone. The weekends too seem to come and go with their fun, relaxation, and sometimes a lot of homework. Sometimes I wonder if things will ever slow down? After high school, college, and years after that surely things will stretch out. It seems I have to enjoy things and make the best of every moment while it lasts. Even though time moves fast I have to somehow find excitement and purpose in life.

Since it is winter I do not tend to spend as much of my leisure time outside. In the fall when it was warm I walked around a lot simply thinking and resting my mind. Jogging through the woods on the way to my younger brother’s soccer games was unusually peaceful. The old trials were quiet except for the birds and the sound of the warm breeze sifting through the pines. To me this time is important and special; it helps me think and slow things down. While I walk and jog I think about things that other people my age may not have the time or patience to ponder. I think about deeper things. I wonder what I am supposed to do and I think about how I need to make my life exciting. Of course I could do simple things like play with friends and family, or doing things that I am passionate about; like golf. Then I wonder how I will do these things in the future. Some time from now I will have to work and earn a living, and I will need to find a passion that I can carry out for a career. Whatever it is that I am going to do I can only hope that it will be worthwhile and enjoyable. I believe that I have to find something that is exciting and meaningful or else I will live a boring and unpleasant life.

Now I find myself wondering what it is that I am going to do this weekend. I could just sit around and do nothing then feel bad that I wasted away a weekend, but I do not want that to happen. It will be up to me to make the best out of my time. Therefore, I will plan something fun and interesting to do. It is the simple things that I must do to make my life worthwhile.

Life is short, and I plan to take advantage of every second. I want to look back on my life and say that I had couldn’t have lived it better.