Cristina - Downey, California

I believe in compassion. In the day and age where the average person’s mind is set on only themselves, it’s hard to find people who actually care abnout others. I myself was once a very pesamistic person. I refused to see the good in people because it was my strong belief that there wasnt really any good there anyway. I know for a fact that there are people just like this in the world. You see them everywhere. They are the people that cut you off this morning on your way to work. The people that yell at waiters because the place is packed and it took them 20 min to get a table. These people people who see a lost child and leave them lost; these people are slowing begining to dominate our society.

However, I believe there’s still hope. Not too long ago i was walking to work on a traffic filled street . i walked along as usual minding my own business when i was suddenly hit by a car. I crossed a small street where the car was supposed to stop at a STOP sign. Carelessly, she did not stop and she knocked me straight to the pavement. As i laid on the floor shocked out of my mind and trying to process what just happen this women climbed out of her SUV and quickly helped me up. She frantically began to apologize and offered services to get me to a doctor. She offered me money and her insurance card. Although it would have been appropriate for me to take her card i was lost in her eyes. i was mesmerized as if they were telling me a story of this women’s heart. So i simply gave her back her hands that were kindly placed on my shoulders and peacefully said, “no, thankyou” and proceded on.

This women gave me, a total stranger, all the compassion in her heart because she truley felt that she owed it to me. I suppose you could say she did in a way, but just seeing the feeling behind this women’s heart made it unnecessary. As i stared at her frightened and worried face of this women i could see that she was not a selfish person. Not once did she worry about her car or complain about her kids being in the car waiting for her. She just cared about me, the stranger. I could see that she was sincerely concerned with my well being. Even though it sounds like she tried to pay me off i know she offered me the money because in this selfish world thats the first thing people want. This women could have left me there and driven away but she didnt. I would have. So as an offer of my gratitude i accepted her apology and seeing as i was just fine i proceded on.

People need to realize that you only live once and theres no reason to live that life in such a negative manner. Contrary to belief, i now see that its easy to change our society. All you have to do is pay it forward. Be kind, be selfless, be generous and later in life when you truley need a miracle this crazy universe of ours will repay you. I know that there are more people out in the world like this women, but maybe we all need to get hit by a car to realize it.