Kaitlin - Leesburg, Georgia

I believe in mistakes. Mistakes are both universally and individually made, that is what makes them powerful. Everyone has experienced a mistake- they connect people yet separate them with the different lessons they can teach.

When I was in second grade, my most prized possession was my bottle of Disney’s Cinderella perfume. I thought I was a big deal: walking around smelling like a princess. It was late one night when I came up with the grand idea to spray that regal scent all around my room. A half hour later, my mom walked in to tuck me in bed and was nearly knocked over by the smell. When she asked me if I had been spraying my perfume around, my first thought was that she might take away my precious perfume forever, so of course I said, “NO!” This was the first big mistake that I remember vividly. Of course there were predecessors, but I can still remember this one because of the spanking I got for lying to my mom.

The moral of this little story is that you do not lie to your mom. Nothing can come from it but a spanking and a disappointed face. Now I wouldn’t get the spanking anymore, but disappointment comes in surplus. Without this mistake, I might never have learned such a valuable lesson, and my relationship with my mom could be completely different.

Mistakes build trust because those who forgive are the people who will become the greatest friends. Forgiveness is one of the sweetest gifts on earth, and I will always treasure it as such. Mistakes have taught me how to forgive, how to accept, and how to live. Without mistakes everyone would easily attain perfection; and there is nothing more boring than perfection.

Without mistakes there would be no funny stories, no children fables, no philosophy. Each moral had to be broken to be learned and appreciated. An interesting world is built upon the mishaps of men, striving for perfect but finding something better in the search. Romance is anything but perfect, but it brings people some of the greatest joy they will ever experience.

I believe that mistakes are good choices in disguise. They build character because the road back to normalcy usually carries the most lessons. Mistakes have taught me how to take care of myself, how to treat others, and how to appreciate the little bumps in the road. Because that’s all they are: little bumps. Life will go on, even through moments when it seems like everything’s gone wrong, like an air bubble finally reaching the surface. Life just has a way of doing that, blowing straight over our mistakes and taking us to a new place. And when we’re in that new place, we’re just a little wiser and a little more prepared.