Andrew - Albany, Georgia

It was 1999. I was just a kid, but felt more like a baby born into a new lifetime. All my friends gone, all my past just a memory, I was nine years old and had just moved 1000 miles north from the cozy shelter of my Tennessee home to the dreary town of Easton, Pennsylvania. Strangers were rude. Winds were erratic. The cold was harsh. But then it snowed.

I believe in snow days. The snow days that occurred habitually followed a late night by the television, hoping, yearning for my school district to cancel. If my venture to see this through was successful, the next day was as highly anticipated as Christmas. I believe in the passion stirred up by a snow day. Each new day should be desired and craved for, because all are occupied by an endless joy and new mercies.

Every snow day I experienced in Pennsylvania was nothing less than a trip to the amusement park. I could wake up early or arise later on. But no matter what happened, the snow remained. It was a constant in a time of countless variables. Deep in the winter, I was always swamped with schoolwork and rarely received a break from this ongoing hassle. Yet every once in awhile, through the murky clouds and lackluster skies, snow would burst forth like a blinding light from heaven. I believe in the exhilaration and refreshment of snow days. My daily cycle consists of working in school, working in the weight room, working on the track, working as a tutor, working as a boyfriend, working as a son, and working as a student with homework at night. I believe a break from this cycle is needed in order to continue existing. My life is frequently busy, but the snow days, those random breaks that allow me to relax, are what hold me together.

I believe in the unity created by snow days. Out in the snow, I never cared who was with me or pondered over the arguments that once encompassed my friends. I realized we were all out there for the same reason-fun. And this common goal, as well as the shared appreciation in a break from school and homework, bonded us. I believe this unity should be sought for consistently. Trying to ignore the differences in my and others’ beliefs, I believe in searching for common ground. I believe this common ground can be discovered with effort and incentive, and it does not arrive easily. But when it does arrive, I believe harmony can be profound.

I believe in snow days.