jake - 31721, Georgia

Jake M

Ms. Newsome

AP Composition

31 Jan 2008

I Believe in Breakfast Time

Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day. It is the meal that kicks my day off. The meal that gives me the brain power to get through that early morning pre-cal calculus test. The meal I depend on until that 12:55 lunch bell finally sounds. Breakfast is a special time; it is a time to gather your thoughts and prepare your mind for the activities of the upcoming day. Breakfast is also the time to finish homework from the night before, or cram in a little extra studying for the big test. Breakfast is a time to relax and beg your dad to let you go to the lake with your friends that weekend.

I cherish breakfast time; especially Friday mornings because it is the only weekday morning that I ever get to sit down with my dad and enjoy a nice, hearty Waffle House breakfast. When I was in 1st grade, my dad and I started a tradition that has lasted much longer than we would have ever imagined. I had just strolled into Mrs. Stiller’s class when I could not help but overhearing Rick Fowler bragging about how he and his dad had gotten up extra early and gone out to breakfast before school. I was instantly jealous and could not wait until my dad got home that night to see if we could do the same thing one morning. My dad loved the idea and decided Friday would be the best day because the breakfast would be a sort of end of the week treat. My sister and I got up extra early and went out to breakfast before school. I could not have been happier, and for the next few weeks I begged my dad to take us out the next Friday until we eventually just assumed we were going. The Friday morning Waffle House tradition has now lived in our family for close to ten years. My sister has graduated and gone off to college, but whenever she is home she knows to be ready by 7:00 A.M. on Friday morning for breakfast. I will be going off to college soon, which will make our Friday morning meetings less frequent, but all the more special.

Breakfast is a time of peace and quiet where I can sip on a hot cup of coffee and relax before I have to enter into the turmoil of the outside world. Breakfast has formed a special bond between my dad and me and brings us even closer every week. Breakfast is the time I take out of my hectic schedule to read the bologna in the Albany Herald about “great” opposing coach and his mighty Eagles. Breakfast is my time!