Devon - Albany, Georgia

All You Need Is Love (And A Little Help from Your Friends)

I believe in The Beatles, even though John Lennon himself says he does not. They are just four boys, another hippie band from the 70’s preaching love, peace, friendship, and individuality. They were way before my time, and half of them are dead now. Their music is often drug-inspired nonsense about octopus’s underwater gardens or walruses or egg-men, goo-goo-g’joob. But yet I love them.

I have always loved them. When I was a child, my mom would sing “Strawberry Fields” to me at night. My parents would pull me in my little red wagon to the library down the street to rent The Funny Little Woman and The Beatle’s Yellow Submarine, strange things that only I understand. Sadly, I can still poorly imitate the Blue Meanie’s voice. When I was 12 and my dad played his horrible “new age” music on the radio, the only thing we could compromise on was The Beatles greatest hits album. Nowadays my parents are divorced, and I no longer live by my grandparents and sister. I rarely see my dad or the two dogs he took with him, although they only live a block from my school. One of the few things we still have in common is our love for The Beatles. To me, The Beatles are a symbol of love.

This I believe: all you need is love and a little help from your friends to be happy. The Beatles understood this and articulated it better than I ever could. It is my daily philosophy. I know that material riches don’t make someone happy. We moved to Georgia because my mother would make more money, and it certainly didn’t make any of us happier. I had to leave my best friend Vanessa behind. Without her help, I was lost for almost a year. And without my help, she has been struggling the past four years. It may be a bit cliché, but I believe friendship and love are greater than everything else. Unfortunately, I don’t believe that most people nowadays truly think that. The Beatles remind me of a time when many people did.