Katie - Albany, Georgia

How Many Roads Must a Man Walk Down?

When I was younger I was addicted to reading the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. When I got to the answer, the ultimate answer to life the universe and everything I found myself wondering what profound thought would be uncovered by Adams in this otherwise silly novel. As I turned the page, ready to uncover the Ultimate answer, I burst out laughing.

42, the answer to life the universe and everything is a simple 42. At first I found it no more then a joke but I got to thinking. Maybe it’s not so complicated after all. Ever since humanity was capable of abstract thought people have wondered what the ultimate answer is. Philosophers have debated the subject over and over again reaching no sort of conclusion as the public just goes about their lives wondering if they should be working toward some great purpose but never knowing for sure.

Stop trying to find the greater purpose, what happens happens whether or not there was a reason behind it is irrelevant. If you were meant to do something great with your life, you will. There is no need to stay up late tossing and turning about whether or not you are fulfilling your destiny.

I live my life taking things as they come and not worrying about some cosmic sign telling me I’m destined to be president. I do what I want because I want to do it not because I feel it is my destiny to accomplish it. If I were to try to interpret every word I here or every discarded flier on the sidewalk, I’d go mad. Sometimes it really is as simple as just going and apologizing to someone. It really is as simple as just saying that something is offensive. I don’t need to get caught up in the drama of high school for the rest of my live wondering where in the tangled web I lie. I avoid making things more complicated than they all ready are. I avoid bring destiny into my everyday decisions such as “It is my destiny to where the red shirt instead of the blue shirt.” Life is surprisingly simple when you look at it piece at a time.

Last year I fainted in art class because of an anxiety attack. I realized then that I don’t need to worry over every little problem. Things are as simple as 42. I believe in simplicity in life. I believe in taking things as they come. I believe in 42.