Jason - Noman, Oklahoma
Themes: Christianity

My early beliefs were shaped by my family. I grew up in a Methodist home. My mom had grown up Catholic and my Dad Methodist. So my early beliefs were shaped by that Christian denomination. So my basic beliefs growing up were: there is God, He had a son named Jesus, and that if I believed in God I would go to heaven. Those are pretty much the beliefs I grew up with. God was somewhat part of my life, but not really my priority, that was sports. God was pretty much for me reserved for Sundays at church and for songs we sang there.

As I grew up I started to realize things from different points of view, and noticed how much I disagreed with the Methodist church on things. Before that happened though, I started going to a Baptist church. Not because of beliefs or anything, but because that’s were a vast majority of my friends went so I wanted to hang out with them there. There I learned more about the Bible and started looking at what it said about different things.

It was then that I started to disagree with the Methodist church. I didn’t like that they had all these rituals and things that had nothing to do with worshipping God but just doing them to do them seemed unbiblical to me. I started looking through a biblical view at their beliefs also and found them different. In the Bible Jesus says that to get to heaven you must believe in Him and accept his gift of salvation on the cross. That is a lot more than just believing in God. I also disagree on the issue of homosexuality. The Bible clearly states that it’s a sin in 1 Corinthians 6:9 and also in various other places. But yet the Methodist church accepts homosexuals and says they will be in heaven, even when Bible clearly says that will not.

So some of my core beliefs are that: God created the universe, this world, and everything in it. When Adam ate the forbidden fruit, he committed sin and cursed it upon all of man after that. But Jesus came as God in human flesh to die on the cross for all of us and our sins, because He was the only perfect person to be on Earth and was the perfect sacrifice. And so if you accept Him as your redeemer and savior you will spend eternity with Him in heaven.

I believe that my purpose on this Earth is to glorify God, make His name known, and to become more like Christ. I think as Christ as our example we should love. Not just Christians, but all people because Christ loved the sinners and unbelievers also. My old Pastor used to say, “Love the sinner, hate the sin.” We should love the person no matter what they do, but to help them become more like Christ in helping them with their struggles with sins.