Nicholas - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: humanism

In the oh so long nineteen years I’ve walked on the Earth, my beliefs have changed on many occasion, for which I am grateful, and this is just what I have found to remain constant and, as I define it, truly “good.” I have seen that we do not have time to sit in our own pools of hatred, bigotry, and self-pity that all people seem to create at one point or another. We do not have time to wait for something divine to lend us a fatherly helping hand. But, what is there then? Well, let me be rhetorical. What do we come across in our lives, but other people? What else have our parents, our grandparents, and those before them seen, but other people? In this world, that is all there is. The problems we face, the hells we endure, the heavens we have — they are all the product of, or simply just, different people. This I believe in full heartedly.

So, why do we live our lives in pain? Why do we live our lives constantly looking for the next big pleasure and the next great adventure? Why do we live ourselves untrusting and unloving of that which there is nothing else? I believe that we must do our best for each other. What we really need to do, what we really need to strive for, is to help one another out. We’re all in the same world, we all share the same basic needs for food, water, shelter, and, as the Epicureans masterfully added to the list of the natural and necessary, companionship. I live my life trying the best I can to meet, talk to, help, and befriend different people. Those that I have met, those that I have befriended, have shown me just through however long we spent our time together what meaning humanity has.

A person must define the meaning of their own life, their own psuedo-destiny. The meaning for my existence is to meet and love different people. I’ll never come across something more powerful, something greater, something divine in this world. I have searched that road bottom to top, top to bottom. What I will come across is people, searching for something, or fighting for something, or loving something.

I believe that the only good a person will ever do, is doing good with, or for, others. The greatest people we look at in societies have changed many different lives with their ideas, their inventions, their goals and their purposes. That which is truly good, is that which is made for the benefit of fellow people. So what is it I believe in? I believe in people. I believe in the goodness that comes out of friendship and out of experiencing the company of those we love. That is where true greatness comes from, that is what inspires people to go out and do the best, or in some cases the worst, that humanity has to offer.