Nick - Concord, Massachusetts
Themes: change

I believe in change…

I believe that change steers where we turn as people in life. Some changes are miniscule but others can be monumental in a person’s life. I have seen people in the most miserable squalor. One change occurs in their life, and they are suddenly on the top of the world, staring down at the rest of us. Just like life, sometimes changes take you by surprise, and those can be either devastating or promising.

Back in 2002 or 2003 when my parents got divorced, it was devastating. For the next years I never got over it, still thinking about what could have been. This one change in my life spawned many things that I could not have imagined. Both my parents had to move into apartments, which were much smaller than my previous houses. My parents would avoid talking, and make contact only when absolutely necessary. This forced me into a state when I thought that everything was my fault. A glass breaks. I must have subconsciously done it. All these things plagued my mind and made it hard for me to live my life.

Then after a couple years, I realized that my parents were happier. They had better lives and were not as upset all the time. I went to Kenya with my dad for the second time, and it was great. I got to know many of my relatives a lot better, but it was still hard to deal with. I went through this for something like 4 years or so, thinking that my life could only get better from there. It wasn’t so great. In summer 2006, my mom suddenly decided that we might have to live with my grandparents in Chile. To me that was just not an option. I couldn’t live in a country where I don’t even speak the language very well, and where it is not as nice. Then at the end of the summer, my mom realized that my brother and I would be nothing without and education at Fenn, so she dropped the idea completely. I could say that was the biggest relief of my life.

For the past year I have realized that my parents really are happier. My dad found someone he actually gets along with, and really likes. I am really happy for him. My mom found a new job as a Lawyer, a much better job than previously as a web designer and a teacher. This increased my quality of life ten fold. I now see that without the changes in my life, I wouldn’t be as happy. My parents would still be bickering. I wouldn’t have all the fun I do. I wouldn’t have the nice apartments that my mom and dad recently moved into. I feel so blessed to have change.