Patrick - Winchester, Massachusetts

Patrick S

Faith In Freedom

In school, my class just so happens to be reading both Fahrenheit 451 and Animal Farm at the same time. Both books are illustrations of a less than perfect society. In Animal Farm, a horrible leader is overthrown, only to be replaced by a new totalitarian regime, and in Fahrenheit 451, people live in a future society where the point of life is to have fun and books have been banned. While reading, I start thinking about the society in which I live. It may not be a perfect one, with wars and poverty, but at least I can freely choose what I want to do. Unlike Fahrenheit 451, I can just pick up a book to read, or pursue any number of other activities. In our society I can stand up for what I believe in and vote for whom I believe will be the best, and strive to do something that I believe will make a difference in my own life or in others lives.

I think that the society in which we live is quite amazing, for it is a place in which we can do most anything that we want, and be anything we aspire to be. Looking at Fahrenheit 451, I can see that the books in our world are greatly needed. Books hold knowledge which people require. They have details which can be crucial in understanding of both the world around us and the book in particular. I myself am an avid reader. Ever since I can remember books have been an important part of my family and my life. For years my dad would read out loud to me after dinner. He fostered my love for books. Books have given me knowledge of places that I may never be able to visit, they have widened my imagination to a plane where anything seems possible, and they have also given me entertainment when reading for pleasure.

I see my life contrasting with the lives of people in Fahrenheit 451. I see that in the future I can make something out of my life, something important. I can do what I want to do, and I can work hard at doing it. I hope to leave some mark of myself on this earth. And I hope that in this society I can. In the society of the people of Fahrenheit 451, everyone seems just to do a job, and then outside that job have fun. In our society, even though it can be more challenging to have to choose a course of action for our lives, we have the freedom to be whatever we want to be. We can voice our opinion, and in this society it is heard, even if it is hard for some people to hear it. I believe that this society, the one I live in, is truly a masterpiece.