Andrea - Huntington Beach, California

I believe that our American culture no longer values the importance of modesty in women. Years ago, when the feminist movement was new and exciting, women were being taught to be free. Let go of all your inhibitions and do what you want for a change! This is what we were being told. Freedom was a right and any way we could express that freedom was releasing the chains that men had been binding us with for years. Sex was the largest source for this “expression.” And so we dug in, head first. Women allowed themselves to let go of modest behavior and be promiscuous.

I am living in a college dorm now for my second year. Hundreds of young women from every part of the country live only a few feet away from me. This is a generation of women who were brought up with a largely feminist mindset of sexual freedom. So this should be offering more happiness, right, more expression of their true inner self? But this is not what I have seen. My friends and I who have given into the culturally accepted normality of sex outside of marriage are lost, depressed, and searching.

How come something that should be so freeing and satisfying, leave you feeling empty and broken? I believe that women are giving into their desires for sexual satisfaction too early and before they are ready. The concept of modesty has been lost; it is not to bind women from being themselves but to protect them from pain and heartache.

Modesty is not just found in the way women dress, but also in the way we act. The way we present ourselves before others is how they will treat us. Being modest is a form of protection from the world’s cruelties and a way respecting purity. Our culture is on a downward spiral towards more pain and destruction. The choices that we make affect our future and the young women around me and myself are hurting from what we’ve done. But these were things we were told were right and good for us. If sex outside of marriage is so freeing as the feminist movement led us to believe, than why do more women feel as if they were in chains. Maybe being vulnerable is not what is best. Maybe, we as women, need to return to modesty.