Brenton - Lawton, Oklahoma

A great writer once said that, “This world is not my home; I am just passing through.” Now, whether or not C.S. Lewis heard that or made it up himself, I do not know. I do know that it is a motto that I hold on to for myself, and an integral part of my beliefs. I used C.S. Lewis as an example because he was a brilliant man and story teller. I like to relate my beliefs to stories… it makes it easier that way. Lewis was a Christian, as am I.

Lewis once told a story about another world. One in which a great lion ruled with love and justice and peace. Some children were allowed to enter that country and stay there for all eternity. I hope to one day reach this place. In our world, that place is called Heaven. I cannot wait to see that place and meet my God face-to-face. But until then, I am here and going to do all that I can to make our world a better place. I think it is important to leave a place better than it was when you found it. Many times it is so easy to get discouraged with all of the hate and bad things of this earth. But, there is also beauty nearly beyond belief. It can be found in the great mountains and vast oceans of the planet or in the heart’s unending capacity to love. This beauty is worth saving and protecting.

I believe that God put me here to do just this. He wants me to love him firstly, and then his many children, the people of earth. Loving God and loving people seems so simple, but it is a task that takes a lifetime to get good at. I believe that it is the foundation commandment of my faith (besides accepting Christ, of course). I am convinced that doing these two things can change the world we live in today. If I love my fellow humans, they might love their fellow humans and thus, start a ripple effect. This would bring about a great change in the way people see each other. Not to mention, the world would be a much better place.

In Lewis’s story, “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe,” when the children enter the wardrobe, they find a world that is a shadow land or reflection of the lion’s great country. Unfortunately, it is being ruled by an evil witch that they must defeat before there can be peace. With the lion’s help, they not only defeat her, but they bring peace to the country and break the 100 year spell of winter. The years they spend there as kings and queens become known as the “Golden Age.”

Will the years I spend on the earth become known as a “Golden Age?” Probably not… However, I will still do all that I can to make this world better while I am here. Then one day, I will enter into that other world…Heaven. I will be home at last.