Courteney - Norman, Oklahoma

I have lived a good life. I have endured many trials, and I have shed many tears, but no situation has been to big for me to handle. I am a fortunate person who has been blessed with a family who has always been there for me. I have many friends who care about me and without whom I would not be able to handle many things.

From the time I was very young, I was exposed to the unbelievably humorous stories of my father’s life. It was the highlight of dinnertime in our household when my dad would begin a story. Even now, when my siblings and I come home on break, I can see their faces light up when my dad begins his stories. I never really realize how truly blessed I am until moments like this, when my family and I laugh for hours together.

When I was eleven years old and entering the sixth grade, my family moved from our country home in California to a small town in Oklahoma. Before the move I had only attended a private parochial school with a thirty-five student total for my grade. Moving to Oklahoma was almost like moving to the big city because instead of thirty-five classmates my age, I now had 250. It was a very intimidating experience on the first day of school, without any sort of uniform to blend in with, and not knowing a soul.

I remember the first friends that I made in my new home. We were sitting around a table playing the usual first day of school “get-to-know-you” games, when something happened to make all of us laugh. It was a wonderful release, and my fears of this new town and school seemed to melt away.

Laughter is a major part of my life. I am the person who always seeks for something to laugh about, and will do everything in my power to make someone else laugh. The ability to make someone’s face light up with so much happy emotion is a powerful tool.

Laughter is a gift and like they say “the best medicine”. The fact is, that regardless of who you are, or what your background is, laughing will cure anything. Laughing is the one thing that can make you feel better. I believe in many things, life, love, and family, but I believe that without the gift of laughter, none of these things would be possible.