Cindy - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

If I was to tell you about my background, I could tell you about my schooling, my social life, and many other things. On the other hand, I could just tell you about how my background consists of a strict Hispanic family who believes family is the most important thing in the world since this affected all the other aspects of my life. My life has revolved around my family, whenever I made decisions I always thought of them. For most, it’s automatic to think of the people they love whenever they make decisions in life but it is also automatic to think of oneself primarily, putting family second. That was not my mind set, I always thought of my family first. If any decision that I made would subject them to a disadvantage I would not go through with it. It wasn’t until I realized that what was good for my family was not the best for me. I had to be bold with my parents and that is what I believe is needed for everyone to succeed in life.

Don’t get me wrong, I still believe family is very important, if one wants to live a happy life. I have also come to understand the phrase “You can’t help others if you don’t help yourself.” Being bold with someone and letting them know that what they want is not what you want, and that you will choose what helps you best, is not a bad thing to do. A person has to think of his or herself first in order to help others to their full potential. I understand I might sound selfish and inconsiderate to some but I know there are others out there that know where I’m coming from. Letting others know what you want is a necessity in the world we live in and I can assure you that you will be happy for it.

I still try to help out my family whenever I can but they now try to think of my needs as well whenever they need something. Making the decision to be up front and bold with my family has made our communication more open with each other and I am glad for that. I might not be as family centered as I was, others might think that is a bad thing, but I am happy the way my life is going now and hope it keeps on going as smooth as it has.