Chad - Norman, Oklahoma

It has always been rather humorous to me when someone offers an excuse for their actions and it entails somebody else wanting them to do it. Why would you do something to please someone else if it didn’t strike your fancy? That is just ridiculous and the reverse of the situation is just as ludicrous. If there is something that pleases you or that you enjoy, nobody should be able to persuade you to not do it.

When I was in high school in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, there were many people who made fun of a certain group of guys who met in the cafeteria of our school on Monday nights. I was a member of that group, and am proud to say that I helped leave the legacy of Troop 971 at ISPS. Some people still have a hard time grasping the fact that I am an Eagle Scout or once wore that khaki uniform that many get ridiculed for wearing, but I did. It is easy to look back now and say that there is no way I would change a thing, but there were times that I wanted to quit or didn’t want to be seen with my troop around my friends. We got made fun of and laughed at but I look back and now it is all worth it. Not only did I learn about wilderness survival and personal management, but I learned a lot of things about life. I got to help a lot of people and do things that I may never have the chance to do again. I realized that Scouting wasn’t only about camping and knot tying, but rather about doing something to the best of your ability and doing it because you wanted to, not because somebody else was.

I believe that we need to pursue our own happiness and quit living our lives to fit somebody else’s plan. We should care only about our opinion and those closest to us and shut out everyone else who is trying to put us down to make themselves feel and look better. We should do what we do because it makes us feel good, not because someone else thinks that it is a good idea. We shouldn’t stop doing something or not start at all just because some people are poking fun at us. I believe there is nothing wrong with being different and just because someone else doesn’t talk, act or think like you, doesn’t make you wrong.