Jennifer - Norman, Oklahoma

I grew up in a typical Christian home, meaning our church attendance was sporadic at best; however, dinner was always started with a short prayer. I attended youth group my sophomore year of high school, yet still never fully believed in the concept of religion. However I did take away a few lessons from the routine services and camp visits; fellowship is essential. The people in my life make my life and mean everything to me. This I believe, we are here for each other.

I believe a sisterly bond is the closest you can have. My younger sister is the most important person to me, and the fact that she’s growing up while I am over a hundred miles away kills me. She’s almost sixteen years old now and about to get her driver’s license. I want to be there for her and help her with whatever problems arise, but since I am currently at college I fear I can’t help her the way I should.

I believe that friends make a life worth living. My father always told me to love my family, because no matter what they will always be there for me. And while I agree with this concept, I took it to another meaning. Since my family is forced to always love me I cherish my friends even more because they constantly choose to be there and support me. My friends have made my world complete and will continue to do so as I grow up. Loyalty is the most important quality I cherish, and I strive to act on it everyday. I will always be there for my friends, no matter what I will do anything I can to help them. In my sorority I took on two ‘Little Sisters’, essentially meaning that I take care of them and act as their mentor or an older sister would. Neither of them have a biological older sister, and I am so proud to act as one for them. They have become two of my closest friends and I can’t even imagine life without them now.

I believe that people need human contact; they need relationships and bonds. We constantly search for connections and reasons why people are similar to us. I believe kids start “dating” at a younger age because they need that connection; they need to feel that someone cares about them. With marriages falling apart at a higher rate then ever, children need to believe that people will stay and care about them. Relationships make our lives worth living. Friendships, as well as romantic relationships, will continue to grow and develop throughout life, but they must be nurtured and worked at. We are here to help each other, through the good times and the bad. We are here to encourage one another and support not only our friends and family, but also our fellow human beings. This I believe more than anything, we are here for each other.