Jaime - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: family, illness, love

I believe in the Power of Love. I was just a young child around the age of seven when my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. By the time they caught it, it was too late, or at least that is what the doctors said. They gave her about a twenty percent chance of surviving. The doctor’s prognosis was no more then a year. No one told me that my mom had so little of a chance to live. Somehow, I knew it was bad, though I never really thought my mom wouldn’t be around for much longer.

My parents had gotten divorced when I was around the age of two or three years old. Because they had divorced my dad was not around, well more than twice a year. Throughout the whole struggle my mom managed to remain in school a full time. I guess she thought that was her only option being a single mother raising two children. She walked across the stage and graduated with a degree in special education while still fighting cancer. The memory of that day is so vivid in my mind. Her scarf rapped around her wig on her head, and as she walked across the stage to receive her diploma her hat and wig went flying off her head. After completing her student teaching she started her first job as a teacher while still in her fight.

Although the doctors said that she wasn’t going to live, my mom knew that it wasn’t her time yet, and she fought and fought the sickness that had come over her. Something inside of her knew she had to keep going for me, for my sister, she knew no one could ever raise her girls but her. After nearly a year of chemo therapy, her hair falling out, constant sickness, my mom won the battle. She was finally cancer free. Even the doctors called her a miracle. I have no clue why God smiled on me and my mom that day, and gave us more time together. But I vowed to live my life praising Him for giving me this time. It’s been about thirteen years since my mom overcame cancer. She continually surprises her doctors. No one can believe she had been so long cancer free.

I believe that my mom beat cancer because of love. She beat cancer because she loved her children so much. She beat cancer because she loved God so much. She beat cancer because of the Power of God’s love, and the power of her love for us. The power of love kept her fighting and the power of love saved her life. In my life, the power of love has changed my life, my mother’s love has taught me how to be strong, and never give up on the fight no matter how bad the end looks, and the Power of God’s undying, unwavering love is strong enough to carry me through anything.