Kristen - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: Christianity

I guess I’m what you could call a non-traditional Christian. I believe that faith is something personal between you and God. It is a personal relationship, like a good friend you can lean on and who will always be there to listen to you and help you through the tough times. I personally do not believe that church is needed to keep this relationship thriving and strong. If you choose to go to church, that’s fine, it’s a personal choice, but I just do not think it’s necessary. As a child I always went to church, and even at a young age I could see all the hypocrisies that happened there. It became more and more obvious to me as I grew older. For the most part, the people that I saw and talked to at church were no better than the people I would see at school or just anywhere, yet it was pretty obvious that they thought they were. It seemed like they were always trying to make me feel bad or guilty for something I had done. Just always trying to put me down, make me feel like such a sinner and that I could never be as good as they were. I didn’t like being preached to like this, especially by people who I knew were out doing the same things or worse than me. The cliques that were in church were almost worse than the ones at school, and that just never seemed right to me.

Church is supposed to be about worshipping God, about learning lessons from and about him. But I have found that you can do this in everyday life. You can worship and thank God in everything you do. Reading the Bible and taking and learning from lessons in your everyday life are just as good or better than going to church and listening to, or falling asleep because of, a preacher. I do not feel that my relationship with God has suffered from my not attending church anymore. He is still very much a part of my life, He is always in my heart and in everything that I do.

I know some people look down on me and even think I’m not a real Christian for not attending church but I couldn’t disagree more. I know that there is a God and that I wouldn’t be here and the person that I am today without Him and all that He has helped me to overcome. I strongly believe that me and God have a great relationship, and I plan to keep it that way for my whole life.