Brian - Altoona, Iowa
Themes: birth, family, purpose

Katie

When I found out my mom was pregnant for the third time in five years I was furious. I couldn’t believe she was going to put the family through this again. Everything was just starting to fall in place for the family. Both of my little brothers were in daycare, my mom had a good job, and things were going well financially. My dad didn’t have to work as hard, everyone was finally happy for once.

It was Halloween night when my mom told me that she was pregnant again. I knew something was wrong. My parents hadn’t talked to each other all day and there was an I-hate-myself look in my dad’s eyes. I didn’t believe her at first, when I saw that she was serious, all I could say was, “You’re stupid! How could you put us though this again? You need to go get rid of it!” I stormed off in a fit of anger and went for a drive.

When I found out that my mom was going to keep it, I got even angrier. She knew things were finally going well in the family, yet she did something irresponsible. My mom quit working, and the stress piled up on my dad again. He started to work later because he had to support the family all by himself. Because of that he became unhappy and started to smoke again. He would spend his nights in his room with the door closed.

Those nine months were hard on everybody. The hormones from the pregnancy made it unbearable for everyone to be around her. On June 30th 2006 she had baby girl named Katie. She had great big eyes as blue as the sky on a clear day. When she was born her lungs weren’t fully developed. She spent the first week of her life in the intensive care unit.

I realized how selfish I had been the past nine months. When I saw Katie hooked up to all those machines. It really hit me hard seeing my little sister like that. All my negative thoughts I had on her birth diminished at that sight. I couldn’t believe that nine months earlier I had wanted my mom would get an abortion to make things right. I couldn’t believe I had wished something so beautiful out of my life. I now believe everything happens for a reason.

Realizing how selfish and irrational I had been, I now know that she came into our lives for a purpose. She has really brought the family together, and brought the good out in me.

Katie is almost two years old now. It really amazes me how fast she has grown up and how much more intelligent she gets everyday. She will always have a special place in my heart. I am really going to enjoy watching her grow up. I really do believe that everything happens for a reason.