Alexandra - Dallas, Texas

I believe in sincerity.

Like most people, I have encountered many instances in which I was forced to question whether or not a certain person was being honest and genuine. It is often said that honesty is the key to happiness, which I found to be true in my experience of joining a sorority.

When I made the decision to attend the University of Oklahoma, I did not know how much emphasis was placed on Greek life. Although I had always told myself that joining a sorority was something in which I had no interest, I gave it some further thought. I read information about it and decided that I would give it a shot.

Each day of rush week was so important because whatever we said in the houses determined whether or not we would be cut. Surprisingly, I ended up loving several of the houses because the current sorority members and I would have the best conversations about things we mutually enjoyed. I remember at one house in particular, a girl talked to me about competitive swimming, something I did for nine years. She made me feel so comfortable that it seemed I had already made a best friend. The girl expressed she was so excited I was there and could not wait to see me again the next day. That next day, I was cut from that sorority. I was truly upset and began to think everyone was being extremely fake and no one actually liked me or wanted me to be part of their house. Again, I questioned my decision until I spoke with a girl who completely changed my mind.

At my last house on the second day, I spoke with a girl who knew I was absolutely exhausted and could tell I did not want to be there. She candidly said to me something I will never forget, “Alex, I know what goes on during rush, I know that everyone is fake and they lead you to believe they want you to be part of their house when they don’t. I want you to know the girls in our house are real. We like to go out and have fun together and we know when to get serious. You are here because we really like you. We think you would be a great asset to the house and we know you fit it perfectly.” At that moment, I knew this was the house for me. I had always felt comfortable there and I knew the girls were sincere with their words. I appreciated the honesty and it made me realize how important it is to be sincere.

I joined that sorority and have met some of my best friends. I have never been happier. All the girls in my house are very sincere and genuine people, and I love every minute of it. Being on the other side of rush this past year, I remembered how that one girl changed my entire perspective of Greek life with her extreme sincerity, and it prompted me to do the same for the new girls going through the rush process.

Being honest with yourself and sincere with others brings true happiness, something powerful in which to believe. As I continue to get older and more mature I remember my sorority experience and apply my strong belief in sincerity with everyone I encounter.