Laura - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: family, love

My mom started to cry. I could hear her breathing on the other end of the phone. She managed to squeak out, “I love you.”

We had been engaged in a conversation over school that elapsed into an emotional free-for-all about how I really felt about her and all the things she has done for me. Speaking to her I realized that I would not be the talented, self-assured, and intelligent woman that I am today if it were not for her unconditional love for me. I told her that she was one of my heroes and I appreciate everything she does for me more than she could ever know. My mom has sacrificed a lot of things in her life just so she could see her children smile. She is my confidant, even when I haven’t always wanted her to be. I believe in the power of love because of her. Most importantly she has taught me to wrap everything I do in love.

What is unconditional love? It is loving someone or something with no reservations. There is unbelievable power in unconditional love, it can drive someone crazy or it can save someone’s sanity. I have been very blessed throughout my life with experiencing the power of love. Until this year I had only known unconditional love from my family, now I have plunged head first into loving someone besides my family unconditionally. It has been the best decision I have made for myself in a long time. This love has had effects on me I never thought possible. I finally love myself now. I have realized how special I am and what I deserve in life. This love has shown me that I do not need someone to validate who I am but that it is sure nice to have someone to share life’s blessings with.

I wish that everyone could get a chance to experience this kind of life-changing love because I believe the world would be a better place if they could. Love that is unconditional can conquer anything. I wish that people could look past the unimportant aspects of life and focus on what they really love and why they love it. Only then will people be able to see everything a little clearer. I believe in the power of love and what love can do for our world.