Alexandra - Houston, Texas

Just a Dream

When I was younger I dreaded the question adults would ask about what I wanted to do when I was grown up. This was never because I did not know- I had always known- but because of the look on their face after I told them. Adults would never say anything negative; after all, I was only a child, but the amused smiles they hid made me ashamed of my dreams. Now that I am older, I look people in the eye and smile, telling them the truth. I do this because I believe in dreams.

I believe that dreams should not be conditional; you should not discard a dream just because at that stage of your life you are having trouble reaching it. Dreams are timeless, they can wait years to be fulfilled, but eventually they will happen. Dreams must be tended, weeded, and rooted deeply in your mind for them to ever become a reality. I believe that dreams give a person meaning and direction in life. I believe dreams are necessary pieces of life that can not be ignored. I believe that if a person tries to fulfill their dreams, they will live a life that is full of purpose. A person needs a dream to hold on to, no matter how silly it may appear to other people, because without that dream, that something to hold on to, what will that person have? Many people have spoken on the importance of dreams, and many people have achieved their dreams by working for them and not giving up. It may not be the main idea of Dr. Kings’ famous speech but, he does imply the importance of dreams. My family members comment on how I should become this or that because it is safe; it has no risk to it. I take their input but know it will not affect my choice. I do this because I believe in my dreams.

I believe that dreams should not change because of a person’s age. Dreams are dreams. A child’s dream for their future should not lose its value as they grow older. Learning more about life should not discourage anyone from trying to achieve their dream. God gave dreams to us with the intention that we will go a little outside of our comfort zone to try, just try, to achieve them. When a person discards my dreams because, after all, it is just a dream, and no one is supposed to really follow their dreams; I think to myself: it is not just a dream. This is what will guide the outcome of my life.