Emily - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: purpose

I believe everyone has a purpose. I believe this because of Kayla. When I was little, I remember my Sunday school teacher telling me that everything in life happens for a reason. Before I met Kayla, I always wondered, “if God is the creator of all things, then why would he choose for one of his children to live a life full of obstacles such as disabilities?” Kayla was a student who went to my high school and was enrolled in the special education program offered to those students who were mentally handicap. My senior year I signed up for a class called peer tutoring. This was a course that allowed students to work hand-in-hand for an hour each day with their peers who had mental disabilities. All of the hours that I was fortunate enough to spend helping Kayla were truly eye opening experiences for me as a young adult.

After working with Kayla for over a year with simple things such as her school work, physical activities, going on field trips and hang out with her outside of school, my perception of why God created people with disabilities has changed. Never once did I ever see Kayla come into the classroom without a smile on her face, never once did I see her frown, and never once did I see her get caught up in life’s petty issues. Kayla has never held a grudge, never realized that she was different, never felt sorry for herself, and never been anything but happy. She finds herself truly lucky to be living life.

Kayla opened my eyes and mind to the reality of what life holds for us. She taught me that God created mentally handicap people because he is trying to teach us that we cannot take this wonderful gift called life for granted. She showed me that life goes on and that happiness is a choice. We should not get caught up in petty issues or stubborn arguments. We have to look past the material objects in life and find out what is the true meaning of happiness is. I believe that God created people like Kayla for a purpose; he created them to teach people like myself that life is a magnificent opportunity, and I have been given the choice of how I choose to live it.