Thomas - Concord, Massachusetts
Themes: change

The Monster and the Angel of Life

My heart was racing as I waited for the forest green Suburban to crawl up the steep driveway. The car turned the sharp corner and there it was–our newly renovated house. I was the last one to cast my eyes on the shingled structure. As I stepped in, fear shuddered through my body. I was lost in my own house. I began to learn the lay of the land and started to love it. The once cold and dark structure became warm and filled with light. Change is the darkness and the light of society. It is mysterious and yet rewarding. Its first impression scares and humiliates me. Once I met and familiarized myself with change, it became that golden friend that I had been looking for from the start. Change is what fuels the world to be the way it is. If there were no change, life would have no conflict, no diversity, and no fun. For me, literature is the difference and change I needed in life.

If I had never caught The Odyssey, I never would have embarked on one of my favorite journeys. It sparked the unthinkable and the fun in life. I grew up with literature, it is familiar to me. Even something as small as The Odyssey people are afraid to read. I was one of them, until my English teacher threw a copy at me. I began to read, and I felt myself relaxing. It turned out to be one of the best books that I have ever read.

As I lay back, and cracked open the spine of Ray Bradbury’s futuristic novel, Fahrenheit 451, my mind went blank. The words were so diverse and so difficult to understand that my mind quickly blocked it away. It was too alone, too unlike the other books. I was terrified of this change. Slowly, as my mind untangled the words of Ray Bradbury, my mind became more open. The once monster that I held in my hands now became this playful angel, teaching me the ways of life, while guiding me through the life of Guy Montag.

Society avoids change. It is the monster which forces people to scurry in any direction. Slowly, inch by inch, we are cornering change and letting it smolder down into ashes. As if to tell the future, Ray Bradbury describes society if it were to continue down this path of uniformity. There would be no conflict, and yet the world would stop turning. The economy would crash. Everyone would want the same thing. Change makes each person and item unique, and makes each puzzle piece fit into place, creating a magnificent picture. Whether it is Fahrenheit 451 in a library, or that sore thumb in society, I believe that change is always beneficial.