Erin - Clinton, South Carolina

Erin C

I Believe Essay

Mrs. Lyon

English 3 AP

6 February 2008

I Believe

I believe in short skirts. Not long, not medium, but short. Society doesn’t give short skirts enough credit for all that they do. Many women and old-fashioned people view short skirts as crude and vulgar; however, short skirts have a lot more influence on our world today than they ever have.

Not only do short skirts have an influence on our world, they influence the people in our world. For example, a waitress can often get a better tip the shorter her skirt is. Although this may be morally wrong, you got to do what you got to do to get what you want. If a person is willing to tip extra because a female is wearing a shorter skirt, then let them!

Women face discrimination in today’s society and on occasion don’t receive as many opportunities as males. The majority of women are smart enough to know that everyone should the “tools” that they have available to them. Other people that think using these “tools” is unjust, but in my opinion it is the person being influenced by the skirt who is wrong. As Reese Witherspoon says in Legally Blonde, “There is nothing wrong with just maximizing your assets.”

Short skirts can also represent power and strength. For instance, during the 1940’s when the Women’s Baseball League was formed they wore skirts and their logo was “dirt in the skirt.” By wearing short skirts, they were able to do more. The skirts made it easier for the players to run, jump, and draw crowds. Short skirts are also worn on the Clinton High lacrosse team, and I believe the lacrosse team is the most physically fit team at the high school.

Many strong and intelligent women wear short skirts everyday, and they wear them because they are strong and intelligent. I believe that if every woman wore a short skirt, we would have a lot more pull in our work, school, and even politics. I have a dream that one day women will run this country, because I believe in short skirts.