Amelia - Norman, Oklahoma

“Where are you going to get protein?” People keep asking me this question.

Going vegan is hard. I love reading about it and everything, but most of my friends are annoying me about it. I keep getting questioned like I’m stupid for trying to go vegan. I don’t need that. Friends are supposed to be supportive of you no matter what. A few of my friends have been, but another few friends keep questioning me or saying that I am crazy or I will never get enough protein, calcium, whatever. Why can’t they be happy because I’ve made a decision that I’m happy about?

I hate when people question me about it. I have never been good at debating, arguing, or defending myself in either debates or arguments. I should just tell people to read the books that made me feel this way. I think the vegan stuff is GREAT for me. The scale said I lost a couple of pounds, which is awesome. I am eating more fruits and veggies which are always good. I am buying organic stuff because it’s better for me and the environment.

Yeah, I’m a little bit of a freak. I worry about big things like animal welfare, the environment, human rights, etc. I cry when I read about animals up for adoption or for sell. I want them to be safe and healthy. I also want them to be fixed. There are too many homeless animals in the world and I worry so much about them.

I don’t want to support an industry of killing animals. They are helpless. Someone said that God created animals for us to use. I don’t like that statement. I also feel that food from animals hurts our bodies in the long run. Now the FDA has approved cloned meat to be sold. It will be sold without labels. How will I know whether I am buying the original cow or a Petri dish clone? That’s so creepy. I don’t know the effects of cloned animals on my body. I don’t want to risk it.

I have always eaten too much crap, including too much meat. I don’t want a disease. I want to be healthy, have energy, live a long time, have healthy babies (someday), etc.

I am also suddenly very interested in reading about nutrition. I keep searching the internet for anything to do with nutrition and reading books about it. I like knowing everything. I never thought I would be interested, but I suddenly am. I believe I need take care of my body. It’s the only one I’ve got.

Some people, including friends, may think I am a bit of a freak because I feel this way. I may be a freak, but why should I let that get me down?