Ben - Norman, Oklahoma
Themes: humanism

I believe in humanity. I believe that humankind can overcome any obstacle through its own perseverance. Every day when I turn on the TV, I am confronted with dark news and terror throughout the world, but there is always a solution to these problems. I am comforted by situations like the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Cold War, where, in the end, cooler heads always prevail.

I am not a Christian, nor do I believe in any religion that is currently being posit do the public by those who claim to “know.” But I believe that humanity itself is godlike. We can right any wrong, cure any ill, and reach to the heavens and discover what the stars really are. In the last 200 years alone we have created a global community through automobiles, electricity, computers, and the Internet. This alone convinces me that we don’t need religion or “gods” to take precedence over ourselves. Belief in God or morals linked to a specific god without rationale reason outside of religion to do so only infringes upon other peoples’ rights. I cannot accept that morals of a specific religion should define a species and deny other people privileges. Is this what we have become? A group of domineering sects vying for domination of all other people?

Humanity and religion are no longer compatible. I believe in a concrete tangible society of people who have come to care for one other not because a Bible told them to but because it is the right thing to do. Every day policemen and women lay their lives on the line to serve and protect. Every day doctors and nurses open people up and remove tumors and bullets, and if this isn’t miraculous I don’t know what is. We can save lives; how is walking on water any better? It took Moses 40 years to get out of the desert, but now we can cross that same desert in under an hour. Humanity will eventually shrug off these preconceptions of myths and outmoded religions. In the meantime, I look at the progress we have already achieved and I wonder where else we can go. Already we have done so many things. And why? Because this is the age of progress. Gone are the dark ages, where churches maintained control over all progress and the people were unable to think outside of the church without an inquisition or heresy trial. Men like Galileo and Copernicus are not only great figures of science and progress but also heroes to challenge the authority of an overbearing church that still attempts to play the law.

I believe in humanity’s values and not the values of the beyond. I will grant that something godlike could exist but I would not ever dare believe that this god would attempt to captivate his people, who in infinite love give themselves to him. The people of Earth need to recognize that progress comes with a price: there are always those who are unable to keep with the advancement of reason and goodness. It is important in the words of Immanuel Kant to, “Remain stalwart in our goodness rather than followers of agreeability.”

Regardless of any iniquities that some of our kind may have, the rest of us, those who are strong in their faith of good people and greater hearts, must press on with our eyes open to the possibilities of new and better lives, and our arms outstretched, reaching for the ever-present future of glory and honor, where we may one day look out across the universe as masters of the whole domain. We are pioneers in a bold life full of surprises, but humanity has always triumphed, will always triumph, in the darkest nights of war and famine, disease and death. Man should never understand while its fellow decides to waste its time, getting snowed under with the things it says when they can open their eyes and see that it is a lovely day. One day, in the future, all men will recognize the dream, and awaken to realize that each and every one of us can be gods, as we reach out to touch one another with love and fortitude.