Channing - Norman, Oklahoma

It was December 31, 2005. My boyfriend and I were in Texas at his country club dancing the night away with his friends celebrating New Years Eve. My family and friends were in my home town, Enid, OK. The night seemed to be perfect with fun and laughter stuffing the air. We called it a night around 3 a.m. and returned home to go to sleep. I called my parents to let them know I was home safely. I peacefully fell asleep in the guest room and was awakened at 7 a.m. with a call from Victoria, my best friend from Enid. I silenced the call; I figured I could here all about her night when I woke up in a few more hours. However, my phone continued to ring three or four times. I knew something must be wrong so I finally answered in frenzy.

“Hello, what’s wrong, are you okay?” I asked.

“Channing…Aaron died in a car accident last night,” she cried.

Aaron was my older brother’s closest friend. I had grown up around him and considered him to be my own family. I immediately called Shane, my oldest sibling, to make sure he was okay. Shane did not answer. My first thought was that he could have been in the same car wreck. I panicked and called my mother who was able to reach Shane. Apparently Aaron drove back to Enid that night under the influence of alcohol and rolled his car in a ditch three times. I was asked to sing at the funeral and was miraculously able to contain my tears for the most difficult four minutes of my life.

My family is Methodist. Although our schedules do not allow us to attend church every Sunday, we still have a strong belief in a higher power. I grew up wondering why bad things happened to good people. I questioned my faith often when I was younger. After Aaron’s funeral I realized that God does have a plan for everyone, he does not do bad things to people. There are forces in nature and choices humans make that can cause a detour. One’s higher power helps him or her with the grieving process of a tragic event.

Having faith allows me to make it through the good and the bad. I believe there are a deeper purpose and a greater meaning to life.