Simone - Houston, Texas

My One Rule

Most people know what it’s like to move schools, cities, states or even countries. We all know that at first, moving seems like a big job that we may never get used to. We also know though, that after all the unpacking, meeting the new neighbors,and setting up a new life style, things usually get better. Most of the time, we get over our determination to never get used to the change and we realize, maybe it wasn’t so bad.

All moves though, take both time and effort. I believe, even if the change is hard, that having a positive attitude can make a big difference. I believe in living life by one rule: Live like there’s no tomorrow, love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like nobody’s watching.

Recently, I had an experience where staying positive was crucial. A few years ago, I had the opportunity to move to Mexico for a year, so as to learn a new language and culture. At first, I didn’t think of it as an opportunity. The thought of leaving all of my friends behind, in the city I had grown up in for the first decade of my life, was overwhelming. My mom said it would be ok, and that I’d greatly benefit from the experience, but I didn’t want to believe her. I didn’t want to leave everything I knew behind, even though I was going to live with my Aunt and cousins. Luckily, in the end I agreed and we made the big move.

The first part of the year was a maze, filled with wrong turns, occasional dead ends, and impossible-looking obstacles. Everyday I could only give my 100%, and hope for the best. To my surprise, little by little, it started paying off. Before I knew it, I was getting better at speaking Spanish, I’d made a friends, and I’d even been enrolled in the local basketball club. In fact, before I realized it, the year was coming to an end, and I didn’t want to leave! I had ended up having such a great time learning so much, I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving all of these friends behind! After talking it over with my family, we decided that it was ok to stay one more year. Of course, that year went by even faster than the first had, and by the end, I was fluent in Spanish, I could effectively read, write and even recite poetry.

After that amazing experience, coming back home, and getting reacquainted with my friends, wasn’t as hard as I’d though it would be. Looking back, I realize that this experience was a once in a life-time chance, that wouldn’t have been possible, had it not been for my family’s positive attitude, and support. We made it, because of that one rule.