Jocelyn - Little Falls, New Jersey
Themes: love

I believe that love is a basic human need. Love can be provided by friends, family, pets, or all three. Love always has its ups and downs, sometimes causing happiness and sometimes sadness, but no one can live without love. Love is more powerful than anything in the world, but how does a person set about finding love?

Love can’t be wrapped up in wrapping paper with a pretty bow and just handed to a person. “Money can’t buy you love” sings Paul Mc Cartney. Love comes from caring. Your parents show their love by being strict, by showing that they are trying to protect you, and by providing your basic needs, such as food and shelter. True friends show their love by always supporting you, encouraging you, defending you, and making you laugh. Sure you will have disagreements once in a while, but then you realize the things you fight over are little and unimportant compared to your friendship. Friends and family sometimes tell you that they love you with words, but more often they show their love by their actions, and actions speak louder than words!

Sometimes love will hurt you. There are people who will let you down and it feels like your heart is being ripped out of your chest. Sometimes you lose a loved one, through death, divorce, or misunderstanding. These separations cause grief that is overwhelming. In order to move on, a person must find new people to replace the love that was lost. You just can’t ignore this powerful need.

History proves the power of love. Wars have been fought in the name of love. Jimi Hendrix says, “When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” Drastic changes, both for good and bad, can be seen in people because of love. It is closely related to depression, as well as elation. Love for one’s country can lead a person to risk or sacrifice their life. Parents have been known to take great risks for the children they love. Love has the power to heal, to satisfy, and to rejuvenate. But love is not random.

Love is a learned skill. Good communication skills, an open mind, a loving nature, and a positive attitude will attract love like a magnet. Everyone has the potential to find love, and everyone needs to try. No one should give up on love, sometimes this skill takes practice, and a few bumps along the way. But I believe in love! I will choose to appreciate the love I have and continue to seek love throughout my life.