Sarah - Houston, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

The Seventh Day

Days fly by, faster that I can keep up with. As each day passes, I feel like they become shorter and shorter. The days become weeks, months, and years. Seven days in a week, twelve months in a year, fifty two weeks in a year, and three hundred and sixty five days in a year. How many years in a life time? That is unpredictable. That’s why it is important to live each day to its fullest. It’s hard to say which day is most important, but personally, I believe in Sunday.

I believe Sunday should be a time for families to be together, whether they choose to worship together, to watch football together, or to share a meal together. Every Sunday, I then accomplish everything necessary to prepare myself for what the week might have waiting for me. I then go to church with my family. After that, I go to dinner with my immediate family and sometimes grandparents, aunts, uncles, or cousins join. I believe Sunday brings people together, both families and friends.

Last Sunday, I had an adventure. Three of my close friends and I decided to go on a bike ride. Not knowing where we were going, or what we were doing, we just enjoyed each other’s company. That was enough for us. We rode to the ice cream store, to the country club to eat, and finally to another friend’s house to watch the super bowl. I didn’t realize it then, but I believe that is what Sunday is about. Being with people whose company I enjoy, being outside in nature, being able to be free and go where I want to go, being able to stop by old friends homes and hang out together, being where I feel at home.

I believe that everyone deserves Sunday: workers, students, teachers, children, criminals; we all deserve a day of relaxation. When God created the Earth, he rested on the seventh day. I have traveled to the Cayman Islands multiple times, and I can tell you honestly that a Sunday in the Caymans is like a day alone on the island. Most of the islanders go to church and spend the day off work to be with their family, or just spend time relaxing on the beach. There, Sunday is a holiday. In the United States, there are still malls, grocery stores, restaurants, drug stores, and shops open. I feel that American businesses should follow the lead of Chick-Fil-A and honor the Sabbath. I believe Sundays should be restored to what they once were.

I believe that Sunday is an accomplishment. Having lived through another week in life should be celebrated. Whether starting the week out with hope for a better one or sadness because a great one has come to an end, Sunday offers an opportunity to begin a new week with whichever approach chosen. I believe Sundays should be valued and respected.